When you buy a new domain name at GoDaddy.com, GoDaddy.com “Parks” it for you. Where they park it is a default server that usually shows a page that says,
“Welcome to: [yourdomainname. com] This Web page is parked for FREE, courtesy of GoDaddy.com.”
GoDaddy has many servers. Although we use GoDaddy.com, the servers we are using have a different IP address. We need to point your domain to our server – the server that has the website we created for you. To do that, your nameservers need to change.
“Your nameservers determine where your domain points based on whether you are parking, forwarding, or hosting your domain with us or with another registrar.”
Here are the steps you need to take to change nameservers so your domain points to our servers:
- Go to GoDaddy.com
- Click on “Sign In”
- Click on “Manage My Domains”
- Log In
- You are presented with your Domain List (you may only have one domain)
- Next to the domain name will be a dropdown arrow. Clicking this will show these options
- Click “Set Nameservers”
- On the “Nameserver Settings” screen …
- Click “Edit Nameservers”
- On the “Edit Nameserver” screen, enter the nameservers we assigned to you.
The first nameserver we gave you will go in box 1, and the second nameserver we gave you will go in box 2
- Click “OK” and you’re done! It can take upto 48 hours for the changes to take affect.
NOTE: It may be necessary to add our IP to your A record (Host Record) in your DNS Zone File for the changes to take affect.